Jewelry should be treated with love and care. It should be treasured and enjoyed every time you put it on. There are, however, some important things to keep in mind so your jewelry will last for generations. The following are basic guidelines for keeping you and your jewelry happy:
- Unlike the perfect boyfriend, it does not like to get wet, take showers with you or frolic in the sea.
- It is probably allergic to perfumes, lotions and hairsprays so slather yourself up in areas where your jewelry will not touch it.
- Your jewelry likes to lounge about, so it should be the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off.
- Jewelry is already in amazing shape, so do not take it with you to hot yoga, swimming class, lacrosse practice, rock climbing or other strenuous physical activities.
- Believe it or not, regardless of price, jewelry that looks delicate ... is.
- Your jewelry loves to travel, but not in the bottom of your handbag or in your pocket. It prefers instead to rest in its special pouch by itself. And while you sleep, give your jewelry its beauty rest too - in its pouch or stored carefully in a box.
- Of course jewelry is meant to be worn, seen and enjoyed - just do so with care!
Jewelry should be cleaned carefully with a clear mild soap and warm water. Jewelry should not be steam cleaned or submerged in water. Ultrasonic cleaners can be especially damaging to many gemstones. It’s best to avoid use. Make sure to rinse well and dry your jewelry completely with a soft cloth before storing.
Both gold vermeil and sterling silver items can tarnish (a darkening in color) over time. If your jewelry becomes tarnished, it’s recommended that you use a liquid silver polish, following the instructions on the bottle, to restore the finish. Do not immerse jewelry in any substance for more than 60 seconds. Always rinse thoroughly after using any cleaner or polish. In some cases, a professional polish at a jewelry store nearest you will slow down the tarnishing process even more. Handmade items may tarnish quicker than machine made jewelry.